7°C LAVEISSIERE

Laveissiere

Laveissière

Laveissière

The Commune of Laveissière was created on May 26, 1836, by a royal ordinance which erected the Vallagnon section as a commune.

The commune of Bredons, to which Laveissière was attached, was created in 1790. Taking up the limits of the parish of Bredons, it extended from the gates of Murat to the summits of the massif, over three valleys: that of Bénet, of Lagnon and Alagnon. The latter, nicknamed Vallagnon, experienced strong development following the creation of the Lioran road tunnel. Its population exceeded 1,000 inhabitants and the Vallagnons wanted to have their own commune so that they no longer had to travel to the capital of Bredons.

But the main motivation for the creation of this commune was legal. Since the Middle Ages, the inhabitants of Vallagnon were in conflict with their lords, then their descendants, about rights of use and grazing in the forest of Lioran. Based on a community charter from 1366, the Vallagnons took the case to court in 1669. The fact of forming a commune enabled them to better defend their right to the forest before the courts.

In 1835, the municipal council of Bredons agreed to divide the territory into two equal parts: north of the Barre stream, the municipality of Laveissière, and to the south, the municipality of Bredons (whose name will become Albepierre-Bredons in 1955) . Despite being located south of the stream, the hamlet of Ampalat joined the commune of Laveissière, to which it was closer. The following year, the commune of Laveissière was officially created.

In 1867, the Vallagnons won the Lioran forest trial, after two hundred years of legal battle. It is the end of overexploitation of forests by former private owners and the beginning of sustainable forest management.